What about a shakshuka for dinner tonight? This Tunisian/Moroccan tomato ‘n’ egg combo is a incredibly easy to make, satisfying and just a little different.
1 big/medium onion
2 cloves of garlic
3 tomatoes or can of chopped tomatoes
some yellow cheese (not necessary but great)
some salt and pepper
Bread/pitta (for ‘mopping’)
1. Cut the onion and fry in olive oil with halved garlic cloves.
2. Add the tomatoes the salt and pepper and simmer (about 5-7 min).
3. Once it’s all bubbling away, break 4 eggs into the mixture – if it’s hot enough, they should poach in the sauce.
4. When the eggs are cooked, you can add the crumbled cheese on top, waiting until it melts
5. Locate and throw out the garlic.
There’s something really satisfying about eating shakshuka by dipping bread into the mixture. I’ll call it ‘mopping’ for now (until I think of a slightly less gross term…)
You can add mushrooms, olives or peppers, hey – let your imagination run wild!
If you thought “I’ve never heard of shakshuka, sounds a little odd to me”, just check out what they’re serving down at the Phantom’s MuchenTuchen:
‘America is Satan’ is a great strapline for a fast food joint, beats ‘I’m lovin’ it‘ hands down, eh?
This is a clip from ‘You don’t mess with the Zohan‘, almost definitely not as racist as it looks. Honest…